The importance of reading to, and with, your child can’t be overemphasized. The more your child gets exposed to words and enjoys the reading experience the quicker they will learn to read for themselves.
From next week, we will be starting a six-week series on ‘Developing and Supporting Your Child’s Reading Journey’. Each week we will look at a different reading skill element, giving example games and activities you can use to support and develop your child through:
- Book Sharing
- Talk & Song
‘Developing and Supporting Your Child’s Reading Journey’ Series:
- Week 1. How to develop a child’s interest in books and reading.
- Week 2. Phonological awareness skills required for reading.
- Week 3. Vocabulary development for comprehension.
- Week 4. Print awareness to develop understanding of reading conventions.
- Week 5. Narrative skills to support the understanding of different writing styles.
- Week 6. Letter knowledge